Daktoberfest 2004 Recap

From: SilverEightynine@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 09:31:08 EDT

As I posted the other day, I hit a deer coming in on Friday. Woke up once or
twice Friday night to see someone sleeping on a couch across the room from me.
I honestly didn't know who it was - figured it may have been Jon - rolled over
and went back to sleep. At 10 am or so - Jon walks in the barn - - ok so who
the hell is on the couch!? Turns out Walt Felix made a snap descision to head
out at 11 pm and arrived some time early sunday morning.

Jim Knox arrived next, followed by Ed, Mike and Anne, and then Jason and Norah.
Oddly enough - defying all odds... JIM KNOX was the first to get his truck
muddy! While everyone was sitting around BSing, breaking what was left of
Jason and Norah's antenna, and while I was doing an oil change on the Ram...
Jim threw his truck in 4x4 and went to test it out! While he didn't go offroad
on the trails or in The Pit, he did hit a couple puddles and got more dirt on
it than I have seen ever.

Jim noticed he had a larger than pinhole leak in his upper radiator hose - so
yet another parts run was launched from DML Homeland. I went with Jim in
search of the hose, to end up at NAPA, with a flex hose the actually fit better
than the stock hose.

Returned to the Barn to chow down on burgers and hot dogs.... I should have
brought some cheese from Wisconsin! After a few rounds of "hide stuff from Tom"
and BSing around in a cold parking lot that was not cold nor a parking lot...
we saddled up to make a mud run. Walt and myself in Walt's 88, Mike and Anne in
Mike's Franken'Koda... Ed and Jason and Norah came down in their respective
trucks, to the mud pit to watch another new DML event... Dakota Circle Track
Racing! Walt made it through The Pit a few times, but Mike was too concerned
about getting stuck with his AT tires. He managed to splatter Walt's Dak with a
thick coating of mud and grass from spinning his rear tires while infront of
us.

We took to the trails next - very wet and very muddy were the conditions. WE
reached the upper waterfall and Walt decided not to try to climb the rocks.
Too slick. There was major erosion since the BBQ. One section of the rock
face nad sheered off and there was a huge sand bar that was not there in July.
The trip back to the Barn was uneventful.

We sat around the fire for a while - dodging the constantly shifting smoke.
When ig became too windy outside we migrated indoors to watch lots of video
from the past day and from the BBQ in July.

I would have to say this was the best turn out for a Daktoberfest ever. THe
weather was perfect for most of the day as well. Couldn't have asked for a
better weekend!!

Now its a long count down until the BBQ - NINE MONTHS AWAY! Too long for some
- not long enough for others hehehehe.

TerribleTom @ DML Headquarters