Re: Re: Re: Exhaust and Cat question..

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 09:07:44 EDT

I have a Flowmaster cat back system on my v6 Dakota. This system comes with a
2.5" inlet muffler (50 Series SUV, no adapter needed) and 3" outlet with a
single 3" tailpipe. There is no low end loss and a noticable improvement (not
big but noticable) from 3000 rpm up.

The further you get away from the engine the less impact the exhaust has on
power output. I do not believe that the 3" tailpipe made any difference, it was
the muffler. The stock muffler even though it is 2.5" in/out it necks down to
less than 2" inside. I would likely have gotten the same results if I just cut
out the stock muffler and replaced it with a 2.5" in/out.

If you are considering a cat back system make your purchase based on sound
looks and/or price and do not worry about the size of the pipes behind the
muffler.

IMHO, the Flowmaster Force II system is the biggest bargin of all the cat back
systems. I got it from Jegs for $160 and it was less than a hour to install
with no fussing with adapters or the need to weld any pipes together.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4