Re: Re: doo bee doo bee doooo...(no, but i wrecked my dak)

From: Hop (hopsdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 15:03:19 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Maskalans"
> Doesn't look too bad all things considered. Pretty light damage to the
> frontend. I'd personally find it pretty scary that the body moved around
> on the frame with the body lift. Also, did your alignment get completely
> wrecked or is that some funnieness with the angle of the camera or
> somesuch?

I'll have to get the front end looked at. My bumper hit the trunk of the
car and the front tires hit the rear bumper. I'm pretty sure the front end
is tweaked. I wont know how bad until they start putting things back
together. They just started the body work on Friday.

> How about those tire pressures? looks from the skid marks like you're
> running pretty low there.

I'm running 10" rims and the air pressure is around 32-35 on the fronts.
Maybe that has something to do with it.

> Also, I'd definitely look into getting a more quality winch stantion.
> That it bent like that in a crash is pretty scary. My family (I was like
> 6 or 8 years old at the time) hit a deer while towing our 24' SeaRay cabin
> cruiser (dry weight around 4500, so towed weight probably pushing 6k) and
> it pushed the winch stantion forward on the tounge about 8". Ours was
> an EZLoader roller trailer. I'm surprised to see so much movement on a
> bunk trailer.

The scary part is that I just bought the strap for the front bow eye, Had
that not been on there it prolly would have ended up in the bed or on the
road. It snapped that 1" nylon webbing bow strap. The stern has big 2" tie
downs on it. They worked for the most part but, when the boat slid forward
far enough they popped loose. I'll need to look at getting some eyes welded
to the trailer instead of just attaching the hooks to the frame. The
pictures of the boat are after I adjusted the winch so it wouldn't do any
more damage to the boat. I even went back to the boat ramp, launched it and
pushed it back a foot or so.

> Pretty scary stuff having that much of a load moving around and having the
> potential to end up in the bed of the truck. In our case we were about 2"
> from having the outdrive find the rearmost roller on the trailer.

The boat, motor and trailer weigh about 2,800 lbs. That's allot of weight to
stop doing 50mph. And when you add the over sized tires and added weight in
the truck my poor brakes had no chance.
--Hop