Re: Re: doo bee doo bee doooo...(no, but i wrecked my dak)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 14:54:30 EST

Michael Maskalans wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Hop wrote:
>

>>Had a chance to take a couple of pics..
>>http://www.uberstorage.com/tex/public/Dakota/wreck/
>>Doesn't look too bad. One fender, front bumper, a/c condenser, radiator,
>>park and turn lamp, grill, and realigning the body with the frame. It slid
>>around on the PA lift. I assume that the frame is straight and none of the
>>body bolts are bent. On the up side i'm having them color match the bumper
>>facias! One of the mods i wanted to do but couldn't justify it.
>

> Doesn't look too bad all things considered. Pretty light damage to the
> frontend. I'd personally find it pretty scary that the body moved around
> on the frame with the body lift.

Body lift manufacturers recommend checking the body lift bolts every so
many miles and after every offroad adventure. Use of locktite on body
lift hardware is critical as you really don't want those bolts coming
loose. I'm willing to bet there may have been an ever so slight amount
of looseness in those bolts. But even if they were as tight as possible
- you will still generally see shifting of the body in relation to the
frame - with an impact. Magnified more if the rubber bushings are worn.
  Imagine stilts... kick the stilt - what happens to the guy up top? lol

WHen I hit the light pole with the 2wd Dak a few years ago - the impact
shifted the cab on the frame - the same way it looks like happened on
Hops truck - pushed the cab in the opposite direction of impact.

Attention Infidels: I am your official DBDoMPfIWUMOT!