Re: Happy Birthday DML and Happy Anniversary!

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 15:17:13 EST

Terrible Tom wrote:
> I think a 10 year reunion/birthday meet is the perfect grounds for this.
> This brings us back to the same problem as before, however.

Yep, I remember several occasions of having this discussion...

> Where would it be? Couple cool ideas I had were the Warrenville truck
> plant, either North Dakota or South Dakota - for obvious name reasons -
> however either of those two states could have nasty cold weather this
> time of year.

I think you and I both thought the truck plant would be a cool idea last
time around -- but IIRC, someone mentioned a club meet of some sort at
the plant at one point in the past and they received little (if any)
attention from DC. The ideal would be to show up there with a couple
hundred trucks and demand that they let us in :-)

> Could have it at Jon's I suppose? But as some of us are aware - Jon's
> driveway in November can be hazardous for 2wd and 4wd trucks alike heheh
>
> One cool (or warm place) would be that 4 corners location where Utah,
> Colorado, Arizona And New Mexico meet. But I can't see most people from
> the East wanting to drive that far.
>
> The problem is that wherever we would have it, some people would travel
> a short distance - and other would have to travel a very long distance.
> Most members, if not all, from the West or far south, are typically left
> out of the bigger DML meets because of distance restrictions. Not to
> mention financial restrictions - the amount of fuel needed would be
> staggering for all those miles.

I agree. I'd love to make it to the BBQ, but it's just too far to be
practical for me to drive. I could fly, but then I wouldn't have my
truck, which would defeat the whole purpose.

It seems to me that the only remotely fair way to do it is going to be
to pick a spot in the middle of the country. That way it isn't *too*
far from either coast. Sure, the people who live in the middle of the
country will be closer, but we have to give those folks some advantages
seomtimes :-)

4 corners would definitely be neat, yes, and I would be willing to make
the journey there for a meet. It'd probably be too far and too
expensive for the members in the northeast (except for the really crazy
ones) to make it. Maybe everyone coming from the east could pitch in
and rent a large car trailer which Jon could be volunteered to tow with
the CTD :-)

OR (here goes with the crazy DML ideas again) we could organize a west
coast and an east coast meet with live audio/video feeds between the
two! A few cameras, some fast 'net links, a couple of projectors... I
love spending artificial money.

-Bill