Re: Idea for The List Archves

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 11:37:24 EST

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
: On Tue, November 16, 2004 11:57 pm, Terrible Tom said:
:>
:> Damn Jon that was fast LOL - the first sign you even considered my idea
:> is when the whole shabang dropped into The List like an Acme Anvil LOL

: There's a lesson to be learned here... NEVER give Jon ideas. :-)

   Yeah, giving me ideas is bad, m'kay? :-) When Tom posted that,
the idea piqued my interest, and since I was sitting at work with a
few spare moments... :-)

:> > 276222 total posts
:>
:> This number does suprise me - I would have thought there would have been
:> far many more posts than that over the years.

: Well, the DML is nine years old today (which means it's also our
: anniversary... Happy Anniversary Honey!). Counting leap years, that's
: 3288 days. Average is 84 posts per day, which sounds about right. Okay,
: I guess I should figure that from the same day Jon ran the count, but it
: isn't too far off.

   Yep! It may not sound like a lot of posts, but when you break it down
to 84 per day, that's not too shabby. :-)

:> NOT suprised at all to see some of the names in the top portion of the
:> totals heh. What I want to know hs how the hell you managed *TWELVE*
:> *THOUSAND* *POSTS* Bernd>??? LOL I just realized most of those prolly
:> were one line'ers :D hehhe
:>
:> I also count over 6600 posts from Andy...

: Hmmm... by my count, the DML is 4.43% Bernd and 2.39% Andy, going only by
: number of posts.

   That's quite a testament to the number of people who post here given
that the huge, top quantity posters are actually such a small percentage
of the total. I wouldn't have expected that. I would have expected
Bernd to be up near 30% somewhere. ;-) I also never realized how much
our buddy St. L. posted. (Now if there were only a way to rank by signal
to noise ratio!) ;-)

: Now Jon needs to come up with a script to count number
: of words that each of us has posted. Not counting quoted replies.

   I'm actually working on several improvements. :-) I've got a little
"todo" list for this script going, and am looking forward to implementing
them. Some of them were ideas that came naturally, others were ideas I
picked up from your post. (NOW who is giving me ideas?) ;-) Well,
unlike some of your other ideas, at least this one doesn't cost any
money! ;-)

  For right now, two improvements I have made are to combine posts
made from the same person under different e-mail addresses into one
e-mail address, and I've also added a percentage of the total next to
each person's name. Rather than keep posting this monstrosity to
the DML (and probably ticking off the digest members) :-) its
available at the following URL:

http://archives.dakota-truck.net/STATS

   Currently, I have "e-mail address correction" in place for the
following people based on the posts they made showing their old
e-mail addresses in this thread:

 Andy
 Jason
 Norah
 Josh
 Miggity
 Tom
 Walt

   If you go to the link above, there is a spot where you can take a
look at the actual data I have on your e-mail addresses just in case
you want to verify that I have the correct info.

   TTYL my fellow number nerds! ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'