Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 14:33:47 EST

Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

: On November 27, 2004 01:37 am, DAKSY wrote:
:>
:> Sounds pretty cool - from the info provided, but I don't know if I can
:> afford to buy a GPS
:> just for gaming...Maybe somebody rents em?

: I know there are several people on the list who have them, maybe we could form
: teams where each team has one GPS between several people? Just a thought.

   Yep, I had figured that with this group, there will no doubt
be several people with GPSs - I plan to bring my own, and I know
Jason has at least one, and other DMLers who have come to the
BBQ have them also. I had pictured this as more of a group
activity where a bunch of us go out to look for the caches -
two or three people in the group might have GPSs, maybe others
with maps and compasses, etc. When we decide where we will end
up, I might have to buy some topographic maps for the area. I
have Topo USA on my laptop, but I don't know if it would be very
useful to bring that since it only has 1/2 hour of battery life.
:-) Maybe we could load the software onto one of Jason or Norah's
computers if they will be bringing one in the RV, might be useful
to have that capability at "base camp". We could also print maps
from it if there was a printer available.

  Maybe I will bring my Jeep compass (got it for free at one
of the DC Jeep premiere nights, its a pretty heavy duty unit).
I guess I should plan on brining some spare FRS radios too,
and batteries... Maybe a trip to Sam's Club for a huge bulk
battery purchase is in order. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'