RE: Offtopic Well Water Pump Need Help!

From: James Calder (jCalder3@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 17:38:45 EST

I don't know much about household well systems or jet pump systems but I am
an irrigation contractor and installed many shallow well irrigation systems
w/ centrifugal pumps. Some of the principles will apply:

Any kind of air leak can keep it from priming. If you have a brass above
ground check valve, make sure there aren't any leaks at the male adaptors.
If glue dripped down inside it, it can keep it from opening. Sometimes
tapping it with a hammer will free it up. You can smear Teflon paste around
the joints and if that gets it pumping, you need to replace the male
adaptors but be sure not to reuse them. If you have an above ground PVC
check valve, it's real easy to get a piece of glue stuck in it. If debris
were stuck in it ,it would keep the valve from closing but if that were the
case it would prime and pump but you would lose prime every time the pump
was shut off and have to re-prime. Same goes for a faulty foot valve (will
pump but lose prime after shutdown). Most of the time when a pump is
replaced and it doesn't pump, it's due to a bad joint (air leak). Check
them one at a time by smearing Teflon paste around them (it's messy but
works). Also, for all the male adaptors, I always do 5 wraps of Teflon tape
followed by a smear of Teflon paste. Since I started doing that, I haven't
had a leak on a first time install. When I use to use just Teflon tape or
paste, 1 out of 20 installs would leak.

Hopefully someone with jet pump/household system experience can help too.

Oh yeah...make sure the water you are priming with is actually going into
the pump. Depending on how it is plumbed, it's possible for the water to go
straight down the well and not in the pump (if you have a foot valve).

James