Re: window = smashed

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 13:46:01 EST

""Jason Bleazard"" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote in message

> Oh, man, that seriously sucks. Stuff like that makes you want to sleep in
> the truck with a shotgun.

You're telling me! Now I've got to pony up the $500 for a new head unit. I
say $500 because apparently that's what it'll cost me to get a new one that
does everything the old one did. It was a nice head unit too, an Alpine mp3
player with no amplifier in it. Everything was fed into preouts and through
amplifiers externally. I consider myself lucky that they didn't damage my
interconnects or anything else in the process. Those interconnects were
VERY pricey all by themselves, not to mention the 2 amplifiers and sub that
are in the truck too.

> Do the cops think there's any chance of catching the person who did this?

Naa, they told me it's 100% gone and that the person probably won't hit the
area again for a long time after such a large score. (Apparently 3 radios
is a large score for one night)

> Mine's been targeted twice, but they never bothered with the window. Both
> times they tried jamming a screwdriver under the door handle. Neither was
> successful. I actually caught the second guy in the act right in the
> parking lot at work, only he had hidden the screwdriver by the time I got
> over there and he was feeding me some BS about having scratched the paint
> by opening his door. I was going to hold him there and call the cops out
> until I suddenly realized he probably had a pistol under his seat, so I
> chickened out and left the area in a hurry. The criminals are the only
> ones who get to arm themselves around here :-P. By the time I got over to
> building security, he was long gone.

This isn't the first time I've had stuff stolen from me, but this time it
came at a time when I'm generally ill-equipped to deal with it. If I hadn't
just paid about $2k for school mid-january I'd be able to be back on my feet
in no time flat, but now it's going to take a while before I get a new
radio. Until then, I'll be rolling with the stock tapedeck - if I can track
it down.

I've already called the window tinting place and made an appointment to get
my windows tinted pretty dark so that there won't be anything in view to
tempt a would-be theif next time. I've got to wait 3 weeks until they can
get me in, but they're the best in the area and warranty their work forever
against anything but scratching.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L