Re: Pissed off about Silver Stars

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 16:20:52 EST

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:24:12 -0500, Bob Tom <tigers@bserv.com> wrote:

  They also have 100/80W but I have not tried them
> because I haven't found out from any of the forums if our wiring, switch
> and lens will hold up to the heat generation and draw :-(

I've used at set of APC "Xenon" high wattage 9007s in my '98. The first one burned out last week after 3.5 years and 55,000 miles or so. I did kill two headlight switches in that time, and I temporarilly rescusitated one by giving it some cool airflow from the dash vent, so I'm pretty sure it was an overheating problem.

They came from midnightmoose.com, they're 80/100s and claim output equivalent to 130W. The only downside is that they are tinted very blue which does indeed give a nice white light, but is blue enough to give the housing a tint when the lights are off. = posour IMO.

Sadly, I rarely make it out of town anymore, so now that I'm back to 55/65W bulbs (I swapped in the ones I pulled when I put in the high wattage) I have yet to notice the difference. The only night driving I've done in the last week I wouldn't have noticed if I only had my parking lights on. Stupid streetlights.... I have noticed that my headlight switch is much cooler, for what that's worth. I'm really not sure since the only thing I have to compare to was failing.

I'll probably set up relays if I go back to the high wattage and see if I can keep headlight switch #3 around a bit longer than 18 months. Though they're only about $15 from Tenafly, so it's not a big deal at all.

And lastly the horror stories: a friend of mine who I worked with at school put a set of high wattage bulbs in his VW, and melted the headlight housings. MkIII Jetta.
A friend of mine from the Rochester offroad club couldn't keep high-watt bulbs in his WJ after he set up relays for the headlights. Not sure any details on that one, and he's not online to ask...

--
Mike Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota CC SLT, 318/46RE/231, D44HD/Sterling 10.25, 4.10s, 35s on Humvee rims.