Re: Offroading during National DML Meet

From: TerribleTom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 00:15:46 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Jason & I have been talking via e-mail about various mapping options
> to use during the national meet, here's an interesting site I stumbled
> across that I thought might be of interest to a number of DMLers:
>
> http://www.offroadguides.com/
>
> Basically, it is a repository of GPS tracks for many offroad routes
> in Arizona, Utah and Colorado. Most of the ones for Colorado seem to
> be in the Breckenridge area. The idea is you download these routes
> into your GPS or mapping program, to take you to the area and navigate
> the course. The web site has further information about each trail
> and its difficulty.
>
> These are all free to download, although one catch is that they
> are in Garmin MapSource format, which is a proprietary program.
> However, I found a free program called GPSBabel
> (http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/) which will convert this format into
> many others, one of which will probably work for your software and/or
> GPS. Just to try it out, I downloaded the "Boros Pass Road to
> Pennsylvania Creek Trail" route, and was able to convert it in
> GPSBabel into formats that loaded into my Delorme Topo USA program and
> also EasyGPS. I didn't actually try to copy the route to my GPS
> receiver, but since it loaded in the software OK, I don't anticipate
> any problems there.
>
> Anyhoo, just wanted to let everyone know about that. If
> anyne else comes up with any other resources, please let the
> list know! :-)

HMmmm - oh I like this idea Jon. Sort of a "offroad suprise package"
Sounds like a perfect way to weave GPS games into the meet. I could go
for either selecting a trail ahead of time. Or just packing out along a
GPS trail. Seems more of an adventure that way!

I just got back from my place up north - checked in on the cabin and had
some wheelin fun with the Exploder... for a stock SUV with all season
highway radials... it did pretty good. heh My mother was terrfied while
I was playing in the mud and snow LOL I looked at her and said "well
this is what you keep saying you bought this Ford to do right?" hehe

The wheeling bug has bitten me again. Going to start gearing up for
this summer now. And I can't wait to get out to Denver!

********** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *112* DAYS LEFT! **********
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/