Re: Colorado campgrounds

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 18:33:13 EDT

On Wed, April 6, 2005 9:27 pm, Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com said:

> I think the next step should be to start gathering information about area
> attractions and plot their locations on a map along with camping areas.

Yep, I'm also working on putting together a page that shows the towns
where the campgrounds from my list are located. I'm listing driving
distance and time (according to MapQuest) from each town to the center of
Denver. That can be adjusted slightly to give an idea for the time to
Bandimere or anything around the Denver area.

> I did
> a search for just the town names listed in your post and also added
> Bandimere
> Speedway in Morrison and the Breckenridge area where there seemed to be a
> concentration on easy to moderate trails based on the offroading link
> posted
> earlier. Both those areas seem to be just to the southwest of Denver.

Speaking of Breckenridge, I personally think it's located in about the
perfect spot. It's about an hour and a half from Denver, and an hour and
20 minutes from Bandimere. That would put us close enough for day trips.
It's up in the mountains, so I'm sure it's all of about 5 minutes from
amazing 4x4 trails. Plus, it's west of Denver and would make an excellent
jumping-off point to explore the western part of the state if we wanted to
do that.

Unfortunately, I can't find any suitable campgrounds right in
Breckenridge. Lots of hotels, but I think camping would be a lot more
fun. The closest campgrounds I can see are in Leadville.

> I'm
> sure offroading is available in other areas but we only have one choice
> for
> drag racing, so I think we should start focusing a campground search in
> that
> direction. The goal being, we being as close to all the planned
> activities as possible to cut down on travel times.

One other point is that we probably want to be camped someplace nice as
well. There are campgrounds available right in Denver itself, but it's
pretty urban for camping. I think they're designed for people to stay one
night who don't have time to get very far out of the city.

I'd personally stay right up in the mountains. That'll put us close to
the outdoor recreation, plus it will be a lot more peaceful and scenic.
Just my opinion.

> Like I said, I did a search for the town
> names and plotted their locations in my GPS software. Here's what it
> looks like.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5mz2x

Cool, thanks!