Date announcement for National Meet in Colorado

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 13:59:02 EDT

On Tue, May 3, 2005 11:52 am, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> As far as a date goes, we're getting very close on that.

OK, I guess it's time to bring the list in on this. We've pretty much
settled on what we think is the best date for the DML National Meet in
Colorado. Drum roll...

************************
   July 15 - 23, 2006
************************

There are various reasons these dates were selected, read on if you want
to know how we figured this out.

There are several events we were trying to work around.

- Independence Day (July 4)
  The holiday crowds will be massive anywhere we want to go.
  Additionally, many of us will have activities planned with our own
  families this day, or the weekend immediately prior.
- All Chrysler Nationals, Carlisle, PA (July 7 - 9)
  Many members of the list attend this event on an annual basis.
- Mopar Mile High Nationals at Bandimere Speedway, Morrison, CO
  (July 14 - 16)
  Many members of the list have expressed interest in drag racing
  themselves. Obviously this won't work if there's a large professional
  competition happening at the race track. Typically Bandimere has open
  test and tune nights on Wednesday nights, except on weeks leading up to
  large events. Therefore, there will be no test and tune on July 12, but
  there should be on July 19. The date of the Mile High Nationals is
  confirmed, but Bandimere was unable to confirm the test & tune dates
  (bear in mind this is a small risk, but they *should* follow the same
  pattern next year that they have this year).
- Oshkosh (July 24 - 30)
  This has been mentioned on the list as a potential conflict for a small
  number of members.
- Mopar Nationals, Columbus, OH (August 11 - 13)
  Some members of the list attend this event as well.

For our DML meet, we are planning on spanning two consecutive weekends
plus the week in between. If you can't make it for all days, just show up
for the days you can make it. If you want to get to the campsite a bit
early or stick around after the event is over, feel free. However, the
"official" meet will be 9 days and 8 nights, running from a Saturday to
Sunday.

The following weeks were considered, and rejected for the reasons noted:

June 17 - June 25 : The weather in June will be quite cool at high
                     altitude. Many off-road trails are likely to still
                     be snow covered.
June 24 - July 2 : Covers the weekend leading up to the 4th of July.
July 1 - July 9 : Covers the 4th of July.
July 8 - July 16 : No drag racing on Wednesday test & tune night.
                     Conflicts with Carlisle.
July 15 - July 23 : This is our choice. Immediately after Carlisle, so
                     anyone attending both events will probably want to
                     consider driving directly from PA to CO. Also the
                     Mile High Nationals at Bandimere are the first
                     weekend for anyone interested.
July 22 - July 30 : Conflicts with Oshkosh. There's also another
                     probable large event at Bandimere on July 29 - 30,
                     so the test & tune night would probably also be
                     canceled for July 26.
July 29 - August 7 : Conflicts with Oshkosh. Also, getting in to the
                     August "monsoon" season.

Dates in August were rejected due to weather. Jim Ward assures us that
during the month of August we will almost certainly find ourselves in
thunderstorms every afternoon, particularly in the mountains.

So, the bottom line is that unless there's major kicking and screaming,
the official date will be July 15 - 23, 2006. We're anticipating that no
matter what date gets picked, there will be probably someone for whom it
won't work. Our apologies if this is you. Speak up anyway just so we
know your situation, but hopefully these dates will work out the best for
everyone involved.