Re: DVD Player Remote Eye

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 13:52:18 EDT

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Bob Nichols wrote:

> Any one ever wire up a remote eye to a dvd player or other electronic
> equipt?
>
> Mine is in the bed...but I'd like to be able to control it from the cab
> now since i now have a cab monitor...

nah, with a rig like what you've got what you really need is something
from Crestron or similar that can control all of your AV devices that are
capable of speaking RS232 serial or IR serial. Your monitor, your
remote-controlable head unit, your DVD player, etc - via touchscreen.
Could have one screen wireless, or one wired that can be moved between bed
and cab, or two hard mounted - whatever you like.

The systems come up pretty cheap on Ebay when they're obsolete but pretty
much everything works with every other generation - it's just the
switching capabilities and screen size/color/resolution that gets updated.

crestron.com if I'm not mistaken. Not sure how well you'd do trying to
learn to program them on your own but a buddy of mine has all their certs
(head of the a/v department at UR, my former boss-man) and could probably
write something up for you for a bit of beer money over the summer if
he's keeping his head above water at work.

Just a thought - and what I'd look into.

--
MikeM
SAS Dak.  not a show truck ;-)