Re: DML BBQ Paintball

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 13:38:27 EDT

"Zito, James A (GE Energy)" <james.zito@ps.ge.com> wrote:

: (Speaking of disarming the bomb, it could be just
: as simple as having a bomb technician with the team when the bomb is
: found would be considered disarming the bomb, or if I were feeling
: really ambitious, I could put together some "bombs" using a
: microcontroller where it could be set to a certain time and count down,
: the team would have to find it prior to that time. Also, possibly
: disarming the bomb would involve entering the correct code on a keypad,
: or actually snipping wires in a certain order in order to prevent having
: the bomb "detonate". This could potentially involve additional
: intelligence/problem solving such as a task which would be required to
: be accomplished in order to determine the proper disarm code or the
: proper order in which to cut the wires.)

: OK me is former bomb tech for the USN, and without giving anything
: "classified" away there isn't much to "safing" a nuke. The fuze is pretty
: much a see and remove item. Granted there is a little bit to actually
: knowing what it looks like. And the radiation monitoring and protective
: gear is one heck of a pain in the butt. We used to call them stupid suits
: because people would loose about 25-50 IQ points just getting into the
: yellow gear.

  Heheh! That's what you want just before fiddling around inside a nuke;
a hefty IQ drop. :-) Unfortunately, just removing a fuse is way too
anticlimactic for the movies (or the DML BBQ). ;-) I actually have a
device designed for this, it can be disarmed by switching it off with
a key (I figure this we can make somewhat difficult to find, since
it doesn't take much skill to insert a key and turn it) or it can also
be disarmed by removing an access panel and snipping the proper wires.
Cutting the wrong wires though will result in instant detonation (booby
trap). Like the key, the instructions saying what color wires to cut
will be hidden, but they will be much easier to find than the key. The
catch though is that they are written in Russian. :-)

--------------------------

  Here is the basic premise I am working with: A rogue terrorist group
has aquired a black market Soviet biological weapon, which they have
planted near DML HQ. They are just biding their time; waiting for the
right moment; they have the ability to remote detonate the device at any
time. They have placed it such that runoff will cause the chemical to
contaminate the creek that forms the northern boundary of the property,
which in turn will contaminate Silver Creek, then Lake Erie and eventually
all of the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence seaway. Much of the northeast
US and southeastern Canada will be uninhabitable. Security leaks have
rendered the US military's special forces units useless; any attempt to
send them after the device will be noticed and (it is assumed), the device
will be immediately detonated rather than risk its being found and disarmed.
The best chance for success is to use the DML (Detached Military Logistics),
an elite, highly skilled private army which uses an Internet truck club as
an elaborate front. With divisions and individual members scattered
throughout the US and Canada, combined with the ability of instantaneous
e-mail/IM communication, this group has the capability to put soldiers
almost anywhere in Northern America within hours, with further reinforcments
just a convoy away. In a stroke of luck, the terrorist group has made the
collosal blunder of placing the device right at the doorstep of DML HQ,
where a large portion of the DML has gathered for Operation Shenanigans;
a series of semi-annual offroad and severe terrain driving/navigation drills.
A private phone call over a secure link directly from the President is all
it takes to shift the DML's focus from training to the real deal. Here
is the situation facing the DML:

    Objective:

        Find and disarm the biological device

    Enemy combatants:

        The members of the terrorist organization who were directly
    responsible for planting the device are no longer in the area. However,
    they did leave behind a security detail of unknown size. This detail
    does not know the location of the device (it is possible that they do
    not even know of the existance of the device), they were left with the
    simple instructions to secure a certain boundary and eliminate anyone who
    enters it. We know that all members of the security detail are in constant
    radio communication and that they will be using scouts. Although the
    primary objective is to secure the device, it is recommended that any
    enemy combatants which are discovered be terminated with extreme prejudice.

    Device location:

        Fortunately, we did get a little help from the inside on this one.
    The terrorist group recruited a former KGB agent to set up and install
    the device. Before he finished the job, however, he managed to leak
    some information to the right people which should prove very helpful.
    It is unknown wether he was motivated by a guilty conscience or a spirit
    of revenge after learning that the group intended to liquidate him
    when he completed his work. All contact has been lost with this
    person, and he is presumed dead. At any rate, we do have the approximate
    lattitude and longitude of the device.

    Disarming the device:

        There are two ways to disarm the device. The standard way is to
    insert the proper key into the arm/disarm switch and simply turn it off.
    If the key is unavailable, an access panel can be removed and the device
    can be disarmed by cutting the appropriate wires. Be aware that cutting
    the wrong wire will result in instant release of the chemical agent.

        The agent left instructions as to which wires should be cut to
    disarm the device hidden nearby, and we have the coordinates to that
    location.

        We have learned that the terrorist group itself has hidden a key to
     the device nearby. They did this in case they decided to move the
     device to a different location (for greater impact, presumably). In order
     to reduce the risk to the high ranking members, rather than coming in
     themselves to remove the device, they would merely transmit the coordinates
     of the key and device to the security detail and have them bring it back.
     Fortunately, we also have the coordinates for the key, although it is likely
     to be very well hidden.

   As I said, I do have the device designed; I decided to forgo the fancy
microcontrollers and such, so the "brains" are just a couple of relays. I
do need to pick up a couple of items for it, but fortunately a lot of what
I need I can just scrounge out of the piles of stuff I've got laying around
here already. :-) So it will be pretty quick and inexpensive to build.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'