Re: Compression Fittings On Brake Lines

From: TerribleTom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 23:11:18 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> TerribleTom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> : I feel I did the right thing - but I thought I would get some other
> : opinions from the rest of the List.
>

> On the one hand, I don't really like it when I go into a parts
> store and get into the 20 questions routine, but thats usually
> because I already know exactly what I want. Plus, I would guess
> that almost a quarter to half the stuff I go into Autozone for is
> not even automotive related. :-) I work on a lot of strange projects
> and also I'm not exactly what you might call a "people person" :-)
> I don't like to explain to people what I'm doing; partly because
> I'm basically the loner hermit type who shuns human contact, ;-)
> partially because explaining would take too long, partially because
> it is probably something really strange that I'd rather not get
> into, and partially because I'm usually not even certain that
> whatever idea I am working on at the time will even work. Unless I
> specifically ask for help on something, I generally just want to go
> in, buy the stuff and leave, preferably with little more said than
> "thanks" and "have a nice day". :-)
>
> On the other hand, I think its good to have a conscience and a
> genuine concern for your fellow man. I think its admirable to try
> and help out someone whose skill/knowledge level might not necessarily
> be up to the task they are about to undertake. Since this guy came
> right up and asked for compression fittings "for brake lines", IMHO,
> you are certainly well within your rights to refuse to sell them to
> him. If it were me, I would explain that compression fittings are not
> safe to use on a brake line, and offer him the correct components
> (which you did). At that point, if he still wants to go the unsafe
> route, its your call. If you personally cannot in good concience sell
> the parts to him knowing what he was going to do with them, then
> you could either refuse to sell them to him outright, or possibly
> have another employee assist the customer. The consumer doesn't have
> a right to purchase items from a store (although its generally good
> business practice to allow them to do so) ;-) a customer is certainly
> able to go elsewhere if they can't find satisfaction at your
> establishment.
>
> If Tom were working in a sporting goods store and somebody came
> in saying he needed to buy a shotgun so he could shoot his wife,
> should he sell it to him? Not only would most people probably
> refuse to do so, but I know I'd probably try and get some ID or
> at the very least get the license number of the car he drives off
> in and immediately file a police report. An extreme analogy
> perhaps, but basically applicable I think, to show that although
> people are responsible for their own actions, it isn't exactly
> black and white once enough information is exchanged to determine
> that said actions are going to put people's lives at risk.
>
> Anyway, I would say that Tom did everything right up through
> [...]

Well there is a liability issue to deal with as well. And the word
"liability" was used by my manager several times when he said using
compression fittings in brake lines was illegal. I'm sure you can
understand where I'm coming from in that respect, Jon. With all the
dumbasses out there who do stupid things and then blame someone else,
without even considering taking responsibility for their own actions.
Reminds me of a funny thing I heard about in the news a while ago. A
guy was filing a lawsuit against a toothbrush manufacturer, because he
claimed the toothbrush bristles were too stiff and caused damage to the
guys gums around his teeth, from brushing too hard. WTF???!!! Now - is
that the manufactures fault? Because someone misused a product in a
harmful way? LOL

This wasn't a case of a pharmacist refusing to sell birth control
because it violates his religious belief. I refused to sell primarily
on grounds of liability - which I told the guy... and yeah maybe a
little bit out of a moral sense of right and wrong.

********** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *undefined* DAYS LEFT! **********
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/