Re: Compression Fittings On Brake Lines

From: TerribleTom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 23:01:10 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2005 1:08 pm, TerribleTom said:
>
>>I feel I did the right thing - but I thought I would get some other
>>opinions from the rest of the List.
>

> I don't know anything about brake lines or compression fittings, so keep
> in mind that what I have to say is all generalized.

Brake lines operate the same way any hydraulic power system works. You
step on the brake pedal applying force to the master cyl which pushes
hydraulic brake fluid out of the reservoir and through the lines to
apply force on the vehicles brakes. The pressures within that hydraulic
system are very high, exceeding 2000 PSI. Compression fittings are NOT
designed to handle this pressure. They are brass, a soft metal... and
basically use thin brass "sleeves" that slip over the line and when you
tighten the nut down on the fitting it compresses and crushes the
sleeve, forming a seal. Its fine to use them on fuel systems, that see
typically no more than 55-60 on stock cars, but not for high pressure
hydraulic systems.

> I've gone in to parts stores with weird requests before, and always been
> annoyed when the guy behind the counter tried to quiz me on what I was
> doing. It would take too long to explain, so just sell me the parts. In
> my case it's usually computer parts for two or three different computers
> I'm working on, in which case they always give me hassles because the
> stuff I'm buying won't all work together. The problem is that they're
> only seeing 10% of the picture, but the same principle applies.
>
> I understand your concerns, if he was really trying to do something unsafe
> with actual brake lines then I can see why you wouldn't want to sell the
> stuff to him. Even if you're not legally liable for something some
> wingnut does with parts you sold him, there's the question of parts
> failures being on your conscience. But if he was trying to make a
> refridgerator or something, you'd have to figure he knows exactly what he
> wants, and he's probably just not wanting to share details.
>
> I do usually appreciate advice from the employees at the store.
> Personally, in your situation I would have said "okay, sir, I want you to
> understand that using these fittings on a brake line is really dangerous
> and stupid, and if you do that, you do it at your own risk. But I'll sell
> them to you if that's what you really want to do."
>
> There's always the question of whether you could have prevented him from
> crashing if he does have a crash caused by the parts you sold him. But
> you can't take responsibility for someone else's actions. Besides, if he
> doesn't get the stuff from you, he'll probably just go online and order
> low-quality junk from China and go ahead and use it anyway.
>
> I get what you did, but I would say that it's not your job to save people
> from themselves. Make sure he understands that what he's describing is
> not a good idea, but in the end if he insists then it's his choice.
>
> Just my own opinion.

I did politely apologize to him and explained everything and why its not
safe to use compression fittings. I told him I had double flair tools,
unions and flair nuts, to properly repair the line. But he did not like
that idea, saying it was too much of a hassle. This was a clear cut
case of a guy coming in with a broken and cut chunk of brake line, and
requesting compression fittings up front.

********** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *undefined* DAYS LEFT! **********
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/