ABS on Dry Pavement Fixed :-)

From: joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 10:00:39 EDT

A couple of days ago I posted that my ABS engaged when I was coming to a stop.
At about 3mph it would engage and it felt like I was hitting a ice patch on
that wheel. I got no ABS light.

I fixed the problem. Turns out that the RF sensor was a little bent. Dodge
uses VR (variable reluctance) sensors for the ABS. They work on the same
principal as an electric guitar pickup. They are reliable and cheap, but the
signal is velocity sensitive and the signal goes to zero as you stop. The
software prevents ABS operation when you are almost stopped. The bent sensor
reduced the signal strength a bit so I was not getting as a strong signal as I
should have. The signal must have gone away just before the low speed cutoff
software kicked in.

I bent the sensor back so it was closer to the notched wheel and all is well.
$0, my favorite type of fix.

Drive Safe,

Joe