Trailer fridge (was: National meet)

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 08:42:26 EDT

korey99@yahoo.com wrote:

> The fridge is
> 3-way (120V, 12V and propane). However, many people are of the opinion that
> you shouldn't run the fridge on propane while driving, which is really the only
> point of using 12V. Certainly running it on propane at a gas station is a bad
> idea!

I've heard both sides. The tech guy at our trailer dealer told us there
was no problem driving with the fridge running on propane.

I'm not sure I get what you're describing... does your fridge have three
settings (120V, 12V only, propane), or does it use the 12V along with
the propane setting? Ours only has two settings, propane and "auto"
which means it uses 120V if available and falls back to propane if the
120V shuts off. It uses 12V for the control circuits when running on
propane, but it's not a large draw.

There is a little dehumidifier heater for around the door seal that will
draw a lot of current. The same tech guy I mentioned earlier warned us
that if we leave that turned on when running on the battery, that it'll
drain the battery within a few hours. But, he said that if we're
planning on having electricity hooked up, not only do we not care about
the battery, but if it gets hot and humid enough to need the
dehumidifier, we'll probably be using the air conditioner anyway. He
suggested to just leave it switched off.