Re: Possible street racing accident!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 18:06:10 EDT

"Pindell, Timothy" <TPindell@otterbein.edu> wrote:
:>http://tinyurl.com/8ueqa
:>
:> I love how in the end of the article (actually referencing a
:>different incident) it said that a guy was found guilty of "drag
:>racing". I didn't know drag racing was illegal - should I hide
:>my trophies? ;-) Yeah, I know what they *meant*, it just annoys
:>me when journalists are either A - sloppy or B - adjenda driven; in
:>either case, the end result is for their words to foster an entire
:>culture of ignorance.

: It might also be "C - ignorance (wanton or otherwise) on the part of the
: journalist". Of course that might also be filed under "A". This could
: lead into an interesting discussion...

   Yep, might be able to create a third category for that, though I
basically sorted "not bothering to research how things really are"
under the laziness category. I suppose complacency and a lack of
contact with people who have challenging viewpoints could cause it too.
(i.e. they're sure they know how things "are", and don't stop to
consider that they might be wrong.)

: Apparently some people can't handle the responsibilities that go with
: our rights and privileges. I wonder if there is anything that can be
: done about these incidents other than to enforce homicide and reckless
: operation statutes after the fact.

   Sounds like they could stand to step up their enforcement efforts
a bit. The article referenced a street racer who left the scene
of the crime when the other racer crashed and died; the article mentions
that he could have received 14 years in prison for that but he got 2
years probation instead. Who knows, maybe the leniency was due to the
fact that nobody but the other street racer got killed in that instance,
if there were innocent bystanders killed, perhaps the penalty would have
been more severe? Whatever the case, 2 years probation for playing a
material role in somebody's death doesn't sound like a very strong
deterrent to me.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'