Re: Running light relay and headlight swich

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun May 29 2005 - 16:47:05 EDT

korey99@yahoo.com wrote:
: I thought I just read something about this (perhaps from Bernd) but I can't
: find it. I notice the Mopar 7-pin trailer wiring harness includes a running
: light relay (so that you don't pull power for all the running lights on the
: trailer through the regular headlight circuit), but the 4-pin does not. My
: concern is the headlight switch- does anyone know what it's rated for?
: Basically, how many extra amps can I pull on the tail light/running light
: circuit before I need to put in a relay? My little camping trailer doesn't
: have many side marker lights, but I could figure out how many amps those draw.

  Sorry, I don't know the answer to that, but just wanted to chime in
with my anecdotal $.02... My enclosed trailer has a total of 20 running
lights. My '92 Ram feeds the 7 way connector right off of the taillights
(I think my '96 Dak does the same) and I have used this trailer with those
trucks without any problems.

  However, if you are looking for an actual answer, :-) if you check out
the fuse that handles the running lights, the amperage of that fuse might
give you a ballpark idea.)

  Also, you might want to check out your owner's manual. I seem to recall
reading something in one of my owner's manuals (for the 3500 I think) that
actually said how many extra running lights you can run off the existing
circuit. I don't know how much resemblance a 2001 Ram would have to your
Dak, but if you like, I can try to look that up for you.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'