Re: Hotchkis Kit and Tire Rub Questions

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 14:57:45 EDT

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Robert Schultz wrote:

> 3. Live with it? What are the risks with this? The tires seem to be
> flexing the fender a bit when they hit.

Rob,

I'm not sure how this situation changed from year to year or between
colors or even between trucks, but just a word of warning that *IF* your
truck is anything like mine ('98 metallic red) your paint may be
EXTREMELY, embarassingly brittle. There was either far too little
plasticizer or far too much hardener in my paint and the smallest flex
will crack my paint and break the bond with the metal beneath.

Definitly not great for what I do with my truck. I've got quite a bit of
paint work to do before the salt season comes around, and I have not found
a matching top coat. I need to buy paint from the dealer to get it to
match.

And of course the only solution to my problem is to bring the truck down
to bare metal and start over. Not bloody likely. grrr

but in any case, I'd be extremely wary of asking your paint to sit happily
on a fender that's flexing.

--
MikeM
SAS '98 CC