Re: Re: The Dak is gone/Buy American...etc.

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 18 2005 - 23:15:51 EDT

On 9/18/05, DAKSY <rsmith13@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> <snip> So, as far as the foreign vs. domestic, waxing patriotic, "buy
> American", and all that goes - I don't see one bit of difference
> between Subaru, Honda, Toyota and... Dodge.
> Sorry, but them's the breaks. Anyone who wants to "buy American"
> nowadays has to choose between Ferd and Chebby. (With the exception
> of a few specialty vehicle brands, such as Panoz, Saleen, etc.) <snip>
>
> Picky, picky, picky...I guess being the son of an American career soldier &
> living 7 years of my life OCONUS,
> (plus being OLD), just makes me gravitate towards the American NAME. I
> realize that we're in an almost totally global economy & that everybody
> seems to be scratching everybody else's back (as well as lining each other's
> pockets)...

The trouble is, Bob, the American name "Dodge" gets linked back to the
home office in Stuttgart (or wherever) the same way the Japanese name
"Subaru" links back to Fuji Heavy Industires in Japan. Aside from the
North American parts content ratio being a little better on the Dak
than the Subaru, what's the difference? American hands assembled the
vehicle in both cases, American hands delivered it to the dealership
in both cases.

The Chrysler-named Crossfire is more German than American. It's built
in Germany IIRC, and it's really just a derivative of the Mercedes
SLK230.