Re: strange trailer wiring with 2002 Quad Cab w/factory 7-pin

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 13:48:46 EST

In article <Pine.LNX.4.63.0511031346030.11307@kota.mmoliver.org>,
moliver@mmoliver.org ("Miles D. Oliver") writes:
> > OK, that sets off some alarms. That makes me even more certain that your
> > problem is most likely some kind of weird grounding issue. I have no idea
why
> > your trailer would work when hooked up to a Chevy, that would be a question
> > for an electrician.
> >
> >> I will try and ensure that there is good
> >> ground from the hitch ball
> >
> > As others have pointed out, that's not going to be reliable.
> >
> The white ground wire does run through the connector so I do have ground.

That still may not be a good ground on the trailer. The Chevy could have been
grounding through the ball when you saw it. I wonder if you were to follow
behind him at night, would the trailer lights flicker as he drove? I would say
odds are, you're experiencing a grounding problem from what you described. I
would still troubleshoot it as a bad ground. Check both ends of the wire and if
necessary, do a continuity test of the wire itself. Like someone else said, a
quick check is to run another ground wire from the trailer to the truck and see
if the problem persists.

Walt