Re: Diffy Go Boom

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 03:02:11 EST

On Dec 10, 2005, at 16:59, Terrible Tom wrote:

> http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/bustedstuff1.jpg
> http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/bustedstuff2.jpg
> http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/bustedstuff3.jpg
>
> So much for hope that it was only a broken C-clip.

nice carnage!!

I've only seen cross pins do that when there's a locker involved.

> Looks like the cross pin may have blown a hole in the diff cover
> too... Went to unbolt it and saw a perfect circle hole which looks
> like it was blown out from the inside.

would not be a surprise at all.

> Worst part of it is that it took out the ring and pinion. The
> passenger side sidegear is jammed between the ring and pinion and is
> locked up tight. Tried several prybars and a cheater pipe and I can't
> free it up.

oh, that sucks. I wouldn't think an 8.25" axle is worth putting a new
set of gears in, better off to get a whole replacement from another
truck, esp if you can get one with disk brakes out of a newer Dak or
Grand Cherokee (the Grand has a link rear suspension, newer Dak would
be closer to bolt-in)

> Is it possible this could have taken out the transmission and/or
> transfer case? I'm thinking the abrupt stop of rotation of the drive
> shaft may have grenaded something else? Wouldn't the torque
> converter's normal slipping action have prevented that kind of
> collateral damage?

Depending on how suddenly it locked up, god only knows... I'm sure the
tcase and trans wouldn't like it, but would they take it in stride? I
don't know. only way to find out is start forward of the diff and
either take things apart or test them as you go.

   +-- Mike Maskalans ------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC 318 4x4 '84 RamCharger 360 4x4 |
   | SFA, 40" Iroks 34" Truxs M/Ts, plow |
   | looking for the right Cummins - 4x4 manual trans CC |
   +----------------- <http://mike.tepidcola.com/trucks/> --+