Re: Diffy Go Boom

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 16:51:24 EST

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
: On Dec 10, 2005, at 16:59, Terrible Tom wrote:
:> Is it possible this could have taken out the transmission and/or
:> transfer case? I'm thinking the abrupt stop of rotation of the drive
:> shaft may have grenaded something else? Wouldn't the torque
:> converter's normal slipping action have prevented that kind of
:> collateral damage?

: Depending on how suddenly it locked up, god only knows... I'm sure the
: tcase and trans wouldn't like it, but would they take it in stride? I
: don't know. only way to find out is start forward of the diff and
: either take things apart or test them as you go.

   As far as the rest of the drivetrain goes, having the diff grenade
in such a fashion as to lock everything up would be the same as just
mashing the brakes and locking up both rear tires, right? Granted,
doing that frequently probably isn't the healthiest thing you can do
for a vehicle, but when put into that context, it doesn't seem quite
as harmful, somehow. If I were driving along at 60mph, slammed on
the brakes and kept the rear locked up until I came to a stop, I
certainly wouldn't expect to have to service the trans or transfer
case afterwards. (I could be wrong.) :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'