Re: Diffy Go Boom

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 04:16:52 EST

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> nice carnage!!
>
> I've only seen cross pins do that when there's a locker involved.

Yeah I was seriosuly not expecting to see the busted metal peices I
found. I had hoped it was a C-clip. By nature, its pretty hard to do
to an open diff, what was done to this one. As I stated in a prior post
- its clear that there was a massive burnout involved, as the rear tires
were bald and there was the tell tail signs of melted rubber kicked back
behind the wheels.

>> Worst part of it is that it took out the ring and pinion.
>

> oh, that sucks. I wouldn't think an 8.25" axle is worth putting a new
> set of gears in, better off to get a whole replacement from another
> truck, esp if you can get one with disk brakes out of a newer Dak or
> Grand Cherokee (the Grand has a link rear suspension, newer Dak would be
> closer to bolt-in)

Yeah - I eyeballed prices on ring and pinion kits, and I didn't like
what I saw heh. If I do keep this truck, I don't have any vustification
for going to lower gears... so a boneyard axle seems to be the way to
go. I don't think I'm going to be able to use this spare 8.25 I have.
its definatly out of a 1987 Dak.. it has no rear wheel speed sensor and
no pick-up ring on the gear for the sensor. I didn't take a close
enough look to see how the sensor ring is mounted... is it mounted to
the carrier? Hmm but even if can swap rings, it looks like the carrier
is pretty bent too...

Anyway... bone yard axle is prolly the easy option.

>> Is it possible this could have taken out the transmission and/or
>> transfer case?
>
> Depending on how suddenly it locked up, god only knows... I'm sure the
> tcase and trans wouldn't like it, but would they take it in stride? I
> don't know. only way to find out is start forward of the diff and
> either take things apart or test them as you go.

I was thinking of contacting the previous owner (on the title) and
asking some questions to see if I can paste together what happened. Was
the tranny working prior to the axle grenading? etc....

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine