Re: 2006 DML Calendar

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 19:23:10 EST

Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
: jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
:>
:> So anyway, I guess the short version is, yeah I'm certainly
:> willing to do a calendar this year. Due to my general lack of time,
:> if somebody else wanted to basically take the reins on this one, that
:> would probably work out the best for me, but I'll do whatever it takes
:> to get 'er done. At the very least, I can take care of the voting
:> and actually setting up the calendar on Cafepress.
:>

: Sorry to hear you've had problems Jon! Did you have backups of your
: hard drives??? Please tell me that you did - I will not be able to look
: up to you as the Geek God anymore if you didn't have backups...

   Unfortunately not. :-( I guess everybody needs an incident like this
before they start doing backups, right? ;-) Actually, I would have done
backups but couldn't find an affordable solution. The size of hard drives
has completely outstripped the backup medium industry's ability to provide
even remotely affordable alternatives. Probably the "best" thing out
there for home users right now as far as size/price goes would be burning
to DVD, but even a 250GB hard drive would require over 50 DVDs - it just
isn't a viable option. It caught me completely by surprise too; the
hard drive worked flawlessly until one day instead of spinning up it
decided it would rather just make clicking noises instead. :-(

   I basically figured that the best option would be to essentially set
up a file server to "back up" my files to another hard drive. The
majority of the professional IT world would scoff at that, but I figure
its better than nothing, and given the lack of other options, nothing
is what I had. :-( That's a part of the reason I've been busy lately,
scrounging parts and such from e-bay and buying some refurbished and new
stuff, I've just put together a ~1.3 TB (after formatting) backup server,
and have started doing some initial backups to it; once I get everything
set up, I'll automate the process.

   I'm still trying to decide wether or not to send the hard drive out
to a professional service to try to recover the data, but that option
is still giving me a bad case of sticker shock. :-( (If anybody knows
of a good service with a good price, I'd appreciate a pointer!)

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'