Re: RE: rear axle interchangeability, or discs on a 1999

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 13:07:56 EST

same truck would mean same spring spacing and shock locations so there's
no reason you couldn't swap your 8.25 for a 9.25. just remember that 4x4s
are spring-over and 4x2s are spring under. durangos are all spring under
and I don't know if their shock and spring spacing match. putting new
spring pads on is not a big deal at all though, just some grinding for the
old ones and welding for the new ones.

an XJ rearend is really close to the same width too if I'm not mistaken,
or you could look at an Explorer 8.8" rear ('96 and newer are disk brakes,
almost all with 4.10 gears are limited slip). in both cases that would
get you a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I haven't checked but I would not be at
all surprised if Jeep YJ/TJ/XJ/ZJ/WJ hubs all interchange with each other
and with the Dakota. I know the mounting is similar but I've never
looked at them side by side to see if they really are the same. Don't
forget that the axle shaft splines and lengths would need to match too. a
ZJ/WJ rearend is similar in width to the XJ/Dakota/Explorer with the BIG
difference being that they are a link suspension as oppsed to the leaves.

I would NOT put in a stock YJ/TJ/XJ rear though - the Dana 35c is a weaker
axle than the 8.25 and most are drum braked. Some Grands had a dana 44
rear that is a good match to the 8.25 strength wise as I understand it.

I'd look for a 9.25" out of a matching Dakota if you want bolt-in-simple,
or an Explorer 8.8" which is a very strong axle with many 4.10
positraction units out in boneyards. I'm not sure if there are any Ford
9" applications around the 63" WMS-WMS measurement of the Dakota, but I'd
investigate that too. There are disk brake 9" from Lincolns around so
that would be a simple conversion if there's one the right width. Again
with the wheel bolt pattern though. But mmmmm 9" :^)

(I'm not good at considering "I want this to just bolt in" considerations
anymore - I'm more prone to look for the best options)

and by the way - I hate the 9.25". it has a bad rep for huge amounts
of backlash, not being as much stronger than the 8.25 as it could be, and
chewing through bearings. The more recent models may well have cured
that though.

also, don't discount the Mopar 8.75". Someone here has done that swap and
documented it. Hope you see this and pipe up. I'm thinking it was Bill
at KRC but I'm not positive.

> Anyone happen to have part numbers, or know of a shop in the Washington DC
> area that can do this project?

sorry I'm no help on that one at all.

--
MikeM