Re: transmission stuff

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 07:52:40 EST

Daniel L. Burrows wrote:

> I already put the gauge cluster with the tachometer in my 91 and the
> tach function did not work so I ended up making a module for it (I did
> this a few years ago). When I was a teenager I had an 87 Dakota (the
> truck was 10 years old at that time) and I added a tach with a kit that
> hooked to the number one wire on my distributor. I did the same thing on
> my 91 except I had to make a module that would transpose the pulses down
> to a variable voltage that would not fry the electronic tach in the
> cluster. As I recall a slightly higher voltage was needed per RPM and I
> spent hours figuring out the ratio using my old tach as a gauge (pretty
> slick huh)….Later on I found out that I could have added a wire to my
> computer and it would have done that for me. I guess my module works
> just as well though-it’s still working! Anyhow, if my memory serves me
> correctly ( and it usually does not), and if your tach is reading too
> high then you probably need to lower the voltage per RPM going into your
> electronic tach. Depending on your electronic cognition, and the
> equipment you have would probably make the difference to if you are
> successful in making a module.
>
> I just hope that my extra transmission
> is not a 42RE as I would have to make a module to make it shift at the
> proper time.

Damn dude - are you related to jon Steiger at all? LOL "ho hum - I
guess I'll just have to fabricate an electronic module for my electronic
tach and transmission!"

If you can do that - I'm impressed :D

As for the speedo working correctly - I swapped my original speedo out -
because i wanted to retain my correct odometer readings.... so I do not
know if you will have issues going from a standard to a sport speedo.
Also - the older speedos are cable driven... a speed sensor has no
effect on the reading of that speedo.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine