Re: Transmissions! Yay!

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Dec 31 2005 - 00:34:50 EST

Gary Hedlin wrote:

> Tom,
>
> One alternate route you may want to take is looking on car-part.com for
> a low mile trans. When the trans went out in my 98, I was able to get a
> trans with 17k on it for $700, not too bad compared to $1300-1800 for a
> rebuilt or new trans. Plus, most yards have a 90 day warranty on what
> they sell, which doesn't sound like much but if you get a bad trans....
> you're going to know well before the 90 days are up.
>
> I also went this route with my engine..... saved a ton compared to a
> rebuild! :)

Hi Gary - yeah I've looked at car-parts.com already - at least for only
in Wisconsin... I didn't search outside Wisc - but what I did find
didn't look good. Only one fit the bill - 155K on the tranny out of a
Gen II.

Trouble is - what I am looking for is harder to find in a salvage yard -
in good condition. Gen II's are getting higher miles and more wear.
Hard to find a Gen II with less than 110K on the clock. I can't go
newer than a 1995 for a donor trans - because I need the non electronic
46RH model. And those - are in the higher milage (older) trucks.

This is why I'm focusing more on remans. I'm willing to pay a little
more for a stronger rebuild... but I gotta keep the cost down as much as
I can. This is why I'm shopping around. I've got one more "monster
garage" build to pull off - and thats for this next summers National
meet. After that - I really gotta get serious about cutting costs and
paying down debt. heh. I'm still paying bills I racked up from the last
few BBQs.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine