Re: Hydraulic lifts (was: '98 LSD differential noise)

From: Miles D. Oliver (moliver@mmoliver.org)
Date: Sun Jan 29 2006 - 10:48:23 EST

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, DAKSY wrote:

> <snip> Its over 1500 lbs so Its not an easy to move item.<snip>
>
> Does THAT mean it's completely assembled?

  Nope, not assembled but I would suspect that it most of the components
will come in a 'banded box' configuration with steel straps to hold it
together. The motor/electrical may come separately but I'll not know how
its packaged until it gets here. I was just told that a forklift would be
helpful, but all I could probably scare up is a backhoe with a chain and
dump bucket as my builder is still constructing homes in my development
but I can't count on that just yet.

> <snip> I have to make sure I have enough bodies to move it when it gets
> here but they should be able to back up to the shop, use a pallet
> jack and adjust the drop gate and roll it in but I am not counting on
> anything.<snip>
>
> Geez, ya'd think there's be a lot of boxes for this thing - INSIDE a
> packing crate, so
> ya could handle some of it w/o a lift....

  Again, I won't know how it is packaged until it gets here.

> <snip> After more than 25 years of creepers, floor jacks, too short jack
> stands
> and the constant 'down and under' I'll be able to see more, do more, and
> not get as much garbage dumped on me when I fix something. I'm tired of
> the dirt and mud,rust that gets past the safety glasses, in my mouth, and
> all over me because I rubbed up against something while under the vehicle.
> It
> won't all be gone, but it will be reduced.<snip>
>
> I've worked under big rigs, both in a pit & under lifts & ANYTHING is better
> than laying T*Ts up
> under a vehicle...

   Its funny now, but I have so tired at times trying to get stuff done
that I have been known to also fall asleep on a creeper or two while working
on my junk and while the vehicle is secured with jackstands and stuff Its
just a weird/scary feeling waking up knowing you were under a vehicle
supported by just jack stands.

> <snip> It will eventually pay for itself in my mind by giving me a much
> better
> work area and the ability to do more stuff myself than taking our
> daily drivers to a shop. Just being able to change the oil without laying
> flat on my back will be wonderful<snip>
>
> Agreed!

  Maybe with it up on the lift I can find a better way to change the oil in
both of my 4.7 motors without sloshing oil everywhere. I hate it.

  I really hate that oil change portal. I want to cut the plastic away and
make it a removable piece so that I can drop the filter and stop the slop.

> <snip> I also have a couple of projects coming up that requires body removal
> that
> without the lift I won't be able to do. Like a frame off restoration of a
> 1928 Model A ford that is my Father-in-laws<snip>
>
> Aw, MAN! I envy you there...I'd love to get my hands on a '33
> Plymouth...That was my Dad's first car...

  After 30 years of sitting in an old shop I know I'll have lots of hand
body fabbing, mouse nests, and lots of other stuff. I see body dip in my
future and probably a multi year event for sure.

> <snip>Better stock up on PB-Blaster for those over 75 year old nuts<snip>
>
> Does PBB come in 55-gal drums!?!?!?!LOL

   Maybe I can make a VAT and just lower it in.... ;-) !!

--
  Miles D. Oliver
  www.mmoliver.org