Re: Travel trailer towing MPG?

From: Todd and Barbara Ossege (tossege@stny.rr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 07:00:14 EST

> Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:56:15 -0600
> From: Korey Atterberry <korey99@yahoo.com>
> Subject: DML: Travel trailer towing MPG?
>
> Hey all-
>
> I know a few of you (Jason for one) tow travel trailers with your
> Dakotas. I was wondering if you would share what gas mileage you get
> while towing. I personally have a '05 V8 with 3.55 gears, but I'd
> appreciate responses with any configuration.
>
> I currently have a medium-sized popup but it never hurts to dream!
>
> Korey
> .
We recently transitioned from a large pop-up (2500 lbs) to a 25 ft travel
trailer. With the pop-up, my 02 QC, 4.7, 4x4, auto, 3.92s averaged 12-14 MPG
at 70 MPH. The new trailer weighs in at 4100 lbs empty. We've only towed it
once through some fairly hilly terrain at 60-65 MPH with the OD off. Only
got 8 MPG. The Dakota pulls strong up to about 50 MPH, then the aerodynamics
take over and you can really feel the trailer behind you. I hope that on
more level terrain, the MPG goes up a little bit. A 24 gal gas tank and 8
MPG means stopping for gas every 150-170 miles. That's a pain. With the 3.55
gears, I would keep the empty trailer weight in the 3000-3500 lb range for
decent towing performance.

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |