Re: Which rear axles will work with my Gen-II?

From: sneezer@gmail.com
Date: Tue Apr 04 2006 - 14:43:31 EDT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0603310955260.14529-100000@uofr.net>,
dml@tepidcola.com (Michael Maskalans) writes:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Dan Kramarsky wrote:
> >
> > I'm thinking on locating a 3.92 rear axle from a salvage yard or someplace
like that.

> > This is assuming finding a used axle and swapping it myself will be cheaper
than buying a
> > gear set and having a shop charge me an arm and a leg to install them :(
>

> probably true when you're looking for a gearset that was availible stock.
> >

> > Besides the 1992 - 96 daks, what other DC vehicles have the rear axle I
want?
> > ( There's a change in the 1997s and up Daks, right? )
>
> I don't know if the gen II and gen III are the same width. other than
> that, I don't think there would have been any other important changes '91
> through '05. Though the shock locations and spring pin centerings could
> have differed. Easy enough to check with a tape measure. If I was going
> to go through the trouble of swapping an axle I'd be looking for an '00-up
> to get disc brakes, even if I had to change the spring perches or shock
> mounts, but that's probably just me.
>
> At least you're on the right side of the break to not have to worry about
> RWSS provisions since you have a mechanical speedo off the tailshaft. if
> you get a newer axle that has the tone ring and RWSS you just need to make
> sure there's a sensor in there plugging the hole in the pumpkin and you're
> in business.
>

> > Also, if a swap out the axle, what needs to be done to correct the
speedometer? Is
> > there a speedo gear I need to change out? Where is it? In the tranny?
>
> tailshaft of the transmission if I'm not mistaken. but my expirience
> always has it in the transfer case - so maybe yours is broken since it
> doesn't have one of those ;-)

They changed from a 27 spline to a 29 spline in 97 I think. That was the major
change. Perch locations are different as well, but that can be solved by
removing and rewelding in the correct position.

I have heard that the GenIII is slightly offset compared to the GenII axle, but
I have not seen two of them side by side and off the truck. Maybe I'll have the
chance to measure some at our next local meet, assuming I can remember to do
it.

Although the 3.92 was a factory option, I don't see it too often on the older
trucks. Tons of 3.55s though.

You could also consider an 8-3/4 swap, but that would give you 5-lug wheels and
you would need the driveshaft shortened a little. Here is a good writeup on it
from Bill.

http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/8.75%20%20Rear%20In%20Gen%20II%20Dakota.pdf

Kevin
.