Re: DML BBQ --> Rented a Jeep

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 09 2006 - 16:35:14 EDT

On 5/9/06, Mr. Plow <adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com> wrote:
> When i was looking at the Hertz website, it said the weekly rate was $319
> (or thereabouts).
> Then when i asked the guy on te 800 number, he told me $279.
> THEN!!! I heard someone else called and talked to the agent at the counter
> and got $264.
> So i'm guessing that there may be some room to bargain them down a bit,
> given all of this info. Just say your friend got it for $219. :D :D :D

Car rental rates vary by the hour and even in the same office you'll
get different rates from different people. If they don't have many
cars left for the day, price will go up. If they've got a TON of cars
a step or two above what you've reserved just sitting around, they'll
cut you a sweet deal just to get one out of the parking lot.

A few years ago I upgraded from a Taurus to a brand-new Grand Prix
right at the Hertz counter in Portland for $8/day. And I'd made the
original reservation for something like $80 for 4 days via Hotwire.com
(at reservation time, I only was told "full size" car, but I figured
it was a Taurus). All I had to say was "that's a Taurus, isn't it?
Anything you can do?" and she barely let me finish asking before she
made me the Grand Prix offer. I couldn't refuse it.

I have a friend who's a manager for an Enterprise location and you
wouldn't believe how variable the rate structure is. He'll do almost
anything to move you into a car with a higher margin on it, and if he
knows he's got a lock on the rental he'll find the price/vehicle that
gets him the absolute best commission. I almost wonder why they
bother advertising rates in the first place.

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |