Re: 4x4 Dakota Suggestions

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 12:40:12 EDT

Welcome back, Kyle!

> What is the payload and towing for the 4.7L V8?

Short answer: if towing is important, get the 3.92 axle ratio. The towing
capacity (as rated by DC, their engineers and their lawyers) for the 4.7 is
highly dependent on the final axle ratio, much more so than the pushrod design
Magnum engines. My guess is that this is because the 4.7 is such a rev-happy
OHC that develops most of its power in the higher RPM range.

The tow rating also depends on the body style, transmission, drivetrain, and
so forth. I'm sure you knew all of that. They moved the full charts to the
owner's manual, if you want me to look up a particular combination just ask.
With the right combinations, the 4.7 is rated just as high as the 5.9
(although naturally the 5.9 would be much less annoying to live with). And
before anyone asks, that's the 5.9 in the Quad Cab, I'm not comparing it to
the R/T.

We had the gears swapped out in our 2001, from 3.55 to 3.92. It gained us
1000 lbs of rated towing capacity (from 4600 to 5600), and made the truck feel
much more confident when towing. It was expensive, but as we were pulling our
RV trailer up the canyon out of Colorado Springs I was feeling very thankful
that we had it done (and also that we got all the factory heavy-duty options
we could find).