Re: RE: Empty oil filter??

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 09:39:06 EDT

> David Gersic wrote:

>> I've
>> never seen an empty filter before.

I went back into the garage to look at the filter, and to my dismay I
saw that I had turned the filter upside down in the pan to allow it to
drain. I picked it up and noted that it was pretty heavy for an "empty"
filter. So I grabbed my hack saw. I started cutting around the
mounting base and after I was about a quarter of the way around. I
noticed the center of the filter had filled! The outer area of the
filter, where the dirty oil enters, was completly filled. What must
have happened was when I cut the case open - it allowed the oil to seep
past the bypass valve, into the center chamber, as the tension was taken
off.

The filter media must have totally blocked with contaminants. I've
never seen this before. I have not had that engine running very long at
all. Not even 5 hours total since I put it in. Now I'm thinking the
pump isn't causing any problems at all - the filter did its job. The
media became totally plugged, would now allow any oil through, and the
bypass valve did what its supposed to do. Why there was no oil in the
bottom of the filter, could be explained by vaccum. That however, I
don't think is as important as the fact the media was not letting any
oil pass through.

I'm going to dump in some engine flush, and change the oil and filter a
few times. I regret not taking pictures of the bottom end of the engine
when I had the oil pan off. There was a good amount of residue built up
on everything. I bet the filter clogged within minutes of me starting it.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine