Re: RE: Empty oil filter??

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 18:17:11 EDT

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:39:06 -0400, Terrible Tom
<SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> I went back into the garage to look at the filter, and to my dismay I
> saw that I had turned the filter upside down in the pan to allow it to
> drain. I picked it up and noted that it was pretty heavy for an "empty"
> filter. So I grabbed my hack saw. I started cutting around the
> mounting base and after I was about a quarter of the way around. I
> noticed the center of the filter had filled! The outer area of the
> filter, where the dirty oil enters, was completly filled. What must
> have happened was when I cut the case open - it allowed the oil to seep
> past the bypass valve, into the center chamber, as the tension was taken
> off.
>
> The filter media must have totally blocked with contaminants. I've
> never seen this before. I have not had that engine running very long at
> all. Not even 5 hours total since I put it in. Now I'm thinking the
> pump isn't causing any problems at all - the filter did its job. The
> media became totally plugged, would now allow any oil through, and the
> bypass valve did what its supposed to do. Why there was no oil in the
> bottom of the filter, could be explained by vaccum. That however, I
> don't think is as important as the fact the media was not letting any
> oil pass through.
>
> I'm going to dump in some engine flush, and change the oil and filter a
> few times. I regret not taking pictures of the bottom end of the engine
> when I had the oil pan off. There was a good amount of residue built up
> on everything. I bet the filter clogged within minutes of me starting it.

Maybe the filter clogged up because of the higher flow rate of the oil.

--
-droo

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8 4X4 Manual Transmission Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's Can-Back Soft Topper Rhinoliner Alpine CD Head Unit w/ XM Alpine 6 3/4" Speakers Sony 8" Subwoofer Q-Logic Custom Fit Enclosure