Re: Empty oil filter??

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2006 - 14:32:40 EDT

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 09:39 am, Terrible Tom wrote:
> cautiously, expecting an oil bath... but nothing... looking inside the
> filter, it was empty. Not totally bone dry, but I could see the
> "bottom" of the filter through the hole.

Well, up until now I could say that I'd never seen this. Did the oil and
filter change on mine this morning, though, and found the same thing! The
filter was totally plugged. Outside the filter element was full of oil, but
the only way I could get it to drain out was to punch a hole in the bottom
with a screwdriver. Inside the filter element, nothing at all.

Oil was last changed 26 May 2006 at 93,788 miles. That was only a couple of
weeks after I bought it, so I don't know how long it had been before that.
Today I'm only at 95,413 miles.

I'm using Quaker State dino oil. The manual recommends 10W30, which seems
strange to me. I'm thinking about going back to 5W30 at the next change
(January). I normally change it 3 - 4 times a year. I've been using Fram
filters, but am reconsidering that after reading that guy's web site the
other night.

Normal driving is just back and forth to work and stuff, less than 5,000 miles
a year on average.