Re: Plugged Oil Filters (was: empty oil filters)

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2006 - 22:49:18 EDT

On Saturday 07 October 2006 05:33 pm, Terrible Tom wrote:
> David, I have a working theory here now. Was your engine hot or cold

Cold. Sat in the garage overnight (roughly 12:30am to 9:30am). I didn't start
it, just opened the drain plug, let it drain, then put the drain plug back
and pulled the filter.

I know some people like to change it hot, but I've always done them cold like
this.

> This engine of mine had not been started in a few months... EVERY
> single other time I have changed oil on any of my cars or trucks, the
> center of the filter had oil it in.

Right. Me too. When you remove the filter, you always get a handfull of oil
from it. This time I didn't. I thought that was strange, and I might have
otherwise blown it off, but because of your recent post, I looked down the
bore of the filter and didn't see anything in there.

> changed oil, I have always warned up the engine to normal operating
> temps because the hot oil flows better and drains faster when warm vs
> cold.

I just leave it sit there and drain until it stops dripping. I figure it was
put away hot, so anything that was going to drain in to the pan would have
drained while it was hot. Having not started it, there shouldn't be anything
in the block that would drain, whether hot or cold.

> Ever prefill your oil filter?

Always. Takes almost 3/4 quart to fill the PH16 filters.

> the oil soaking into and through the media, filling both chambers. The
> fact there is oil on the outside and not the inside of the filter proves
> without a doubt that the media is plugged

Right. That's what concerns me. I'm going to change it again in about a month,
switch to 5W30 for the winter, and probably go with something other than a
Fram filter.