Re: Plugged Oil Filters (was: empty oil filters)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2006 - 23:57:57 EDT

David Gersic wrote:

> Cold. Sat in the garage overnight (roughly 12:30am to 9:30am). I didn't start
> it, just opened the drain plug, let it drain, then put the drain plug back
> and pulled the filter.

Ok - I suspected as much and expected you would say it was cold. This
lends more weight to my theory.

>>This engine of mine had not been started in a few months... EVERY
>>single other time I have changed oil on any of my cars or trucks, the
>>center of the filter had oil it in.
>

> Right. Me too. When you remove the filter, you always get a handfull of oil
> from it. This time I didn't. I thought that was strange, and I might have
> otherwise blown it off, but because of your recent post, I looked down the
> bore of the filter and didn't see anything in there.

Yup - same here... thats what started this whole thing for me... the
lack of oil running down my arm was very much noticed. I do all my own
oil changes and with the miles I put on multiple cars/trucks, one gets
to notice over lots of oil changes, whats normal and whats not.

> I'm going to change it again in about a month,
> switch to 5W30 for the winter, and probably go with something other than a
> Fram filter.

ANYTHING is better than FRAM... a wet rag smeared with peanutbutter
would provide better oil filtraton than a FRAM. I'm partial to bosch
filters, I've been using them for about 4 years now. I used NAPAs WIX
made filters prior to that, but switched to bosch when I worked at
autozone... as AZ didn't sell any WIX products and i didn't like any
othe the other filters AZ sold. Valuecraft = cheap. STP = cheap
Champion filter, same construction as FRAM almost. Mobil 1 filters and
K+N were too pricey... I wasn't buying a FRAm, so that left bosch. And
having cut one open now... I'm pleased to see that they are a quality
filter. Perhaps not the best on earth... but for the price - its the
best. I'm pondering if I will go back to WIX once my stock pile of
bosch is gone. Don't know yet.

I've been using NAPA silver on the Neon, as I didn't have any filters
for it. Considering the car is on its 3rd head and has been beat to
snot, I'm not going to throw expensive filters at it, dino oil and cheap
filters changed every 3K is good for a beater.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine