Re: Plugged Oil Filters (was: empty oil filters)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2006 - 00:05:38 EDT

David Gersic wrote:

> Is the lab check of the oil worth doing? I've never sent a sample in to them.

For me yes it was worth it. I was having some concerns about possible
oil consumption and i wanted to monitor the oil quality. I did have
issued with fuel dilution. And I wouldn't be suprised if that truck
still is. The oil was thinning out by fuel contamination. Frequent
short trips can do that to an engine, worse for diesel... because
diesels need to be fully warmed up for proper combustion. Frequent
short trips never allow the engine to warm properly causing the rich
conditions to let a lot of fuel past the pistons and into the oil.

Thats another reason I don't like the concept of extended oil change
intervals. Fuel dillution can cause viscosity and lubrication issues.
Oil filters are not designed to purge the oil of fuel.

I was having the oil tested with every change, but it got to be too
expensive to keep doing so frequent - so I stopped. I might send one in
prior to storing the Ram this summer, just to see how its doing.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine