Re: Plugged Oil Filters

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Oct 08 2006 - 17:21:34 EDT

David Gersic <info@zaccaria-pinball.com> wrote:
[...]
: Adding salt to water raises its boiling point, but I don't
: recall what it does to the melting point.

   It lowers it. That's why we in the northeast have trouble holding
our vehicles together for more than ten years, because the highway
department loves to spread salt on the roads to lower the melting/freezing
point so as to prevent ice.

[...]
: What I haven't been able to find out yet is which side of the oil pump the
: filter is on. Is the pump pushing oil in to the inlet side of the filter? Or
: is it pulling clean oil out of the outlet side?

   I don't claim to be an expert or even play one on TV, so there very
well could be an engine out there with an oil pump which draws oil
through the filter, but on every engine that I have run across
so far, the filter is always on the outlet side of the pump.
The only suction involved is through the strainer in the oil pan,
up the pickup and into the pump. From there on out, its pressure.
Typically, the oil filter will be first place the oil from the pan
is routed to; on many of the Mopar engines that I am familiar with,
the oil filter flange and the oil pump itself are basically built
into the same housing.

   If the oil pump had to draw the oil through the filter as well
as the pickup, I suspect there could be problems getting the
system to prime after changing the filter, so from a design
standpoint, that would probably not be such a good idea. :-)

   You can put it to the test easily enough; just back off the
oil filter a couple of turns, fire up the engine and stand back.
:-) I had that happen to me years ago when I changed the oil on a
vehicle and didn't realize that the rubber sealing ring had popped
out the side. It made quite a mess, just in the few seconds that
it took me to start the car and hop out to check for leaks. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-