Re: Plugged Oil Filters

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2006 - 22:50:48 EDT

David Gersic wrote:
> On Sunday 08 October 2006 08:37 pm, Barry Oliver wrote:
>
>>I send to Blackstone every oilchange
>

> Ok, thanks, I'll send them a sample on the next change and we'll see what they
> have to say.

The TBN test [the extra $10] tells you how much "life" your oil has.
It's worth it the first couple of times, and whenever you test a new oil...

>> I know that M1 15w50 is good for 5000+ miles
>

> That'd be a year of driving for me, and even if the oil might be ok, there's
> no way I'd trust it to go that long without changing it.

Well, I was running 15-20K a year, but now, with a company car, I am not
doing nearly as much, so I may stick with the 10w30 and the shorter
intervals...

>>engine. A Fumoto valve makes this testing MUCH easier and is by far the
>>best accessory I have ever bought for my truck, for the price.
>

> I've seen those, but never knew anybody that had one. You really like it that
> much? Hm. Well, maybe that merits a closer look then.

Oil changing is a 10 minute process now, but the main advantage is being
able to turn the flow on and off when you are filling your sample
bottle. I got the one with the nipple, but if you do the hardcore
offroad thing, you may want to be nipple free....