Re: Okay I admit it...here we go again...

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 17:59:51 EDT

On Thu, October 12, 2006 6:08 pm, ctandc wrote:

> Anyway... I'm looking towards swapping in a 318. Since the truck has low
> miles, runs fine with the 3.9, I don't have to rush for once, and I can take
> my time building up the engine and getting everything for the swap ready to
> go, so it's just an easy swap.

It shouldn't be too bad, IIRC even the mounts are the same.

> I've done some research and it seems that the 5 speed I've got will
> suffice with the 318. So that's covered. Now let's cover the rest:
>
> - 318 engine:
>
> - What's my year limit on long blocks to make everything compatible?

Anything magnum should bolt right up.

> - Is the easiest shot here to look for a complete long block out of
> another Dakota, Ram or ????

IMHO the easiest way would be to pull the 4.7 and harness out of a wrecked 01
for a quick plug and play swap. If you're set on the 318, you can still use
the harness but you'll probably have to swap some pins around.

> - As far as wiring harness... from consulting the 01 FSM, I'm
> assuming I can just add the other two injector wires to my factory
> harness...correct?

You can, or you can pull another engine harness at the junkyard and swap them
at the bulkhead connector. You may have to move some pins depending on
what's changed over the years. I have a 2000 FSM on my site somewhere if you
need diagrams. Send me an email offlist (remove the ".lists" from my
address) and I'll let you download a copy.

> - PCM.... I would think that a Dodge Ram / Dakota PCM from a 318
> equipped truck would work...but I'm thinking I'd need a reflash. And
> recommendations?

IMHO, the easiest way would be to scavenge the appropriate power and body
modules from a donor truck. If you swap the PCM from a V6 to a V8, you'll
get errors because the two computers won't have the same VIN programmed into
them.

> I'm not looking for a hot rod here. So 318, mild cam, maybe some home
> clean-up of the heads. Headers + good exhaust....

Don't forget the TB and M1 intake.

> What else am I missing?

42 cubic inches.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.