Re: A/C Compressor failure

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2006 - 10:09:52 EDT

Mike Goodell wrote:
> The A/C Compressor clutch has seized up on my 99 club cab. I have the 318
> engine
> Can I swap the belt to the Non A/C belt or do I need some kind of ider wheel
> to replace the comressor with? I need my truck to be running, but finances
> ssay that a replacement
> compressor is a ways off at the moment.
> Thanks for your help,

It just so happens that I've been down this road before with a 1999,
318. Bypassing the AC compressor on our engines is a little tricky
because once again, Dodge Different went with the oddball 7 rib serp.
belts. VS the more common 6 rib on most chevys and fords. So naturally
different length belts are not as easily avalible for trial and error
jobs like this.

For some reason, the stock non-AC equipped belt listing does not work
for a truck with AC removed. That belt is an 884K7 belt approx. 88.5
inches long and was much too short. I made a 900K7 (approx 90 inches
long) belt to work however it was a tight fit, a 905K7 or 910K7 belt
would be best, but I wasn't able to find one that length anywhere.

The tensioner has to be rotated back completly, and the belt will then
slip over the pullys if you follow the factory no-ac belt routing label
on your radiator support. The accessory mounting brackets are different
between the ac and non ac engines. The routing path may be the same,
but I believe the power steering pump is located a bit lower on AC
engines, creating a belt length difference.

Good luck :)

75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine