Re: A/C Compressor failure

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 22:55:47 EDT

On Sun, October 15, 2006 9:09 am, Terrible Tom wrote:

> It just so happens that I've been down this road before with a 1999,
> 318. Bypassing the AC compressor on our engines is a little tricky
> because once again, Dodge Different went with the oddball 7 rib serp.
> belts. VS the more common 6 rib on most chevys and fords. So naturally
> different length belts are not as easily avalible for trial and error
> jobs like this.
>
> For some reason, the stock non-AC equipped belt listing does not work
> for a truck with AC removed. That belt is an 884K7 belt approx. 88.5
> inches long and was much too short. I made a 900K7 (approx 90 inches
> long) belt to work however it was a tight fit, a 905K7 or 910K7 belt
> would be best, but I wasn't able to find one that length anywhere.

Why not run a 6-rib belt? When I ran an underdrive crank pulley I used one
and didn't have any problems. I don't think there's really a compelling
reason to stick with the 7-rib if you need a size unavailable in that width.
You just have to make sure the belt is lined up correctly on the pulleys or
it'll wear funny and squeal real fast.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.