Re: A/C Compressor failure

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 23:34:02 EDT

Josh Battles wrote:
> On Sun, October 15, 2006 9:09 am, Terrible Tom wrote:
>
>>It just so happens that I've been down this road before with a 1999,
>>318. Bypassing the AC compressor on our engines is a little tricky
>>because once again, Dodge Different went with the oddball 7 rib serp.
>>belts. VS the more common 6 rib on most chevys and fords. So naturally
>>different length belts are not as easily avalible for trial and error
>>jobs like this.
>>
>>For some reason, the stock non-AC equipped belt listing does not work
>>for a truck with AC removed. That belt is an 884K7 belt approx. 88.5
>>inches long and was much too short. I made a 900K7 (approx 90 inches
>>long) belt to work however it was a tight fit, a 905K7 or 910K7 belt
>>would be best, but I wasn't able to find one that length anywhere.
>

> Why not run a 6-rib belt? When I ran an underdrive crank pulley I used one
> and didn't have any problems. I don't think there's really a compelling
> reason to stick with the 7-rib if you need a size unavailable in that width.
> You just have to make sure the belt is lined up correctly on the pulleys or
> it'll wear funny and squeal real fast.

I suppose you could go this route. As long as proper tension was
maintained by the tensioner... there wouldn't be an issue with the belt
moving on the pullys, which would be the only issue I could think of.

75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine