Re: Beer WAS: Re: I will be at Daktoberfest

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 15:51:49 EDT

--- andy levy <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote:

> > Now for you beer aficionados, Trivia time! Whats
> the
> > difference between lager and ale?
>
> Top-fermenting vs. bottom-fermenting yeast.
>
> - --
> - -andy

 DING! DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner folks! Ale uses top fermenting yeast
while lager uses bottom fermenting yeast. Lager is
also usually (traditionally) stored or (laagered) in a
cool dark environment to age and develop the flavor.
Ale is fermented at around 70 degrees F and Lager is
fermented about 15 degrees cooler, about 55 degrees F.
While I also agree with Jason that many lagers, or at
least the big name brewery brands, have little flavor,
Shiner Bock is a type of lager that has good flavor
with a rich aroma and a drinkability that I have not
found in any other US brewed beer. Unless we can get
Stebel to send us some Styers 1878, I'm sticking with
my Shiner Bock!

Ray

Ray

Some risk is necessary in life. Without risk, the new world wouldn't have been discovered, man wouldn't have landed on the moon and we wouldn't ride motorcycles.