Re: Plugging tires

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 09:20:35 EDT

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Don Rey wrote:

> I guess I really want to plug it myself (especially considering the
> truck is in the parking lot here at work and I JUST took the spare out
> of the bed so it wouldn't smash a gift I brought in yesterday for a
> new dad co-worker of mine).
>
> So have you ever had a DIY-plugged tire fail? Horror stories? Had a
> plug last 50,000 miles?

I picked up a screw in one of the Dakota's Iroks while I was out to lunch
at work back in April or May. A coworker who parked next to me later in
the day asked me about the screw sticking out of my tire....

So I went outside, yanked the screw out with my Gerber multitool and heard
the dreaded hiss. I pulled out my tire patch kit, reamed the hole (it
takes a LOT to open up a hole in a 40" bias ply tire), plugged it up and
it's still holding today. About 7,000 miles, all through Colorado trails,
wheeling on it probably 4 times aside from Colorado. Never had a bit of
trouble with it.

Plug it up yourself - especially if it's in the middle of the tread
- you'll probably not have a lick of trouble.

--
  +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
  | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |